Thread: Indexeses
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #70
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think tags are usually just concatenated in a single database field, freely, and selected on the fly. But I could be mistaken-- perhaps the software parses them and stores them in a separate table, as you suggest.
Slow systems will combine them in a text field; but if you want any kind of decent response, you have to have individual indexed entries.

This brings up a really good question, btw; what is the general view regarding having a database running to store this metadata, versus having a custom file format, emulating a database?

Advantages to the database are speed and ease of development, no proprietary files to decode in case of trouble. But the custom files mean no separate program to run or configure.

Which would you all choose?

Kovid, I recall you mentioned moving from a database to a file; can I ask what your reasoning was behind that, and how you feel it's worked out for you?
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote