View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #105
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Ditto that. I will never pay more for an ebook than for a paper book. I place more value on owning an actual paper book than I do a text file, no matter what argument some might raise or comparisons they might draw. High-priced ebooks trigger the "I am being ripped-off" response in me, logical or not.
Well, at least you're honest.

But that pretty much says it all, because people aren't necessarily logical about the argument. They are putting emotional value on an inanimate object.

Reading all this really does highlight how much value westerners put into possessions.

I feel like I have been having this same argument for 20 years about books and music and films and photos, but people still don't get it.

People seem to think there is more substance and rustic morale to hold these physical objects, as if from a time when society was better. Where it's actually the opposite.

Anyway, maybe I'm taking it a bit far, but the more movies and music and books I get, the less value I realise they have.

I think the ebook holds more value for me and it does more.

However...I certainly do agree with the sharing issue. Hopefully it may change one day.

But you know what? When someone 'shares' a paper book with me, I just download it, because I still prefer to read it on the Kindle!
I work at a magazine and get plenty of free hardcovers. But I still usually get the mobi! You cannot beat the convenience. I don't own a handbag -- I aint carting those things around with me!
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote