View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #84
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
Actually, all of the open source programs on the Kindle are licensed under GPLv2, which is more restrictive. GPLv2 requires the source code to be released if you distribute the programs in a binary form. This requirement is in addition to other covenants that bar the restrictions of its use.

You're forgetting that the underlying OS and filesystem are GPL software. You would be free to add files to it as you see fit as Amazon cannot impose restrictions on it's use.

You bring up a valid point that some programs on the device cannot be freely distributed or modified as they are proprietary. This however does not extend to the simple act of adding a file to the operating system.

Shall we actually quote relevant parts of the GPLv2 here?

As you can see, as the recipient, I automatically receive the same license to modify the software from the original licensor.

Well, you are welcome to your opinion I suppose. I have tried my best to justify my arguments here, which I do not believe are faulty. Amazon chose to use GPL software for the simple fact that it saves them a ton of money. They figured, correctly, that most users would not educate themselves about their rights and just use the product as-is.
I'm not arguing against removing ads. I'm arguing against using "amazon uses open software" as an excuse for removing ads. Adding/removing a file on the file system has nothing to do with the software that runs on the same system. Now, if your argument is that: amazon uses open source software therefore I have a RIGHT to remove ads. That's just plain wrong. You have a right to remove ads because you own the device, not because the device runs open source software.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote