Thread: Aura HD Reading in the sun... FAIL
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
So at lunch pretty much every day I take my Aura HD out to read in the sun while I eat (gotta get that Vitamin D that I don't get from my computer screens at my desk...) and every time I start flipping pages if there is sun shining directly on the screen... NOTHING. No page turns, the power button stops working, backlight button stops working, it basically brings the reader to a complete standstill for up to 10 minutes. A pinhole reset will usually fix it, but really? Isn't it a selling point that "e-ink is the only way to read in direct sunlight"?

Can anyone else repro this? It's super frustrating, and I really want to know if this is just my unit or a glitch with the IR screens on all the Auras.
The only time I've seen an issue reading in sunlight is with the touch screen when I have the sun hitting the screen at enough of an angle that it's hitting the IR sensors. If I tilt the screen so the sun does not hit the IR sensors, all seems to work fine. The light and power buttons are not affected.

From your comment that the light and power button are not working, it sounds as if you are having an issue other than the IR sensors. What is the temperature like where you are reading? Have you tried a factory reset? What firmware revision are you on? Basically, I'm wondering about a glitch in the running software.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote