Thread: sigil 0.2.0
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieko View Post
Well I'm quite excited about the release of 0.2.0.

I have no experience with html or xml whatsoever, (though I can clumsily figure stuff out as I change things that already exist) so to find a WYSIWYG editor has been very handy.
You really have nothing to worry about. Honestly.

Let's say you don't know (and don't want to know) anything about XHTML, CSS etc. that actually makes up your book. Let's call these technologies magic.

So in 0.1.x, you would open an epub file and do your editing in the Book View, and if you switch to Code View you would see the magic. But you don't care about that so you just remain in Book View. That's fine. The content of the original files that made up the epub are all presented in this one "flow", one screen with a scrollbar and a double red line separates these out (the "chapter break" line).

In 0.2.0, the only thing that changes (from your perspective) is that you don't have one large "flow" anymore, but several. There is no red line demarcating chapters, they are now in separate files. You click on one of these files, and you see the "chapter" displayed in a new tab. Every tab has Book/Split/Code View. You don't care about the magic, so you remain in Book View.

No new knowledge is required from you as the user. You just edit the way you used to before, but now you get to "see" the different "chapters" of the book individually, not all at once.

That's it. You have nothing to be afraid of. The people who know and care about the magic can still work with it (and more effectively), and you get an faster/better/easier workflow since you don't have to scroll around as much.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote