View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #30
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I used to work in a library so I have a "Fiction01" folder on my hard drive where I have sub-directories by author <last name>, <first name>. Every few months I take my un-sorted folder and organize things by dropping the various files into the author directories.

I have imported some of these into Calibre which is a great program, but I have not made it my central repository of all things yet.

I have ... 2 main e-readers. The kindle I share with my wife, daughter, mother and mother-in-law. A semi-steady diet of Pratchett, Reichs, Brown, etc. go here. All the popular/best sellers are on the Kindle.

The PC files I blip over to my Nexus 7 where I read using Moon+ Pro. The initial load of 150 books has been whittled down since Christmas, but I still have months of reading to do before I am ready to transfer new files. The PC files are back-fill of my SciFi library, Military, some technical and some like "Fifty Shade of Grey" which might make for awkwardness at the next family gathering.

Tech Note: I use an On-The-Go cable and "Nexus Multimedia Importer" to import files from a flash drive. No need to root my Nexus tablet. One file I wanted on the nexus was simply sent to "MyDrive" on my gmail account and copied down by the gmail client on the nexus.

BACKUPS

I have not quite filled up 4.6 gigs of space in my "fiction01" folder, but when I do I will start a new "Fiction02" parent folder. I occasionally burn a DVD and make a backup.

I probably should sign up for cloud backup because I know eventually this HDD will fail. But I buy Western Digital Black edition hard drives and the hard drives tend to last longer than the PC so I just pull the HDD, and hook it to another computer to recover my files. In .. 20 years I have never actually lost anything on a hard drive.

Last edited by FatDog; 05-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote