View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At my typical writing pace, I've produced a new novel in about 8 months, or 3 novels in 2 years. (That was, of course, before I took time off to concentrate on marketing.) So much depends on your own pace, and your own time constraints; there's no point in trying to declare a set time period for all writers to aim for; we're too diverse a lot, especially now that the digital realm has stirred the pot even more.

A writer helps themselves if they stay visible in the market. How they do that is up to them, be it free stories and shorts, blog posts, or turning up at every literary convention. Again, diversity has rendered conventional practices moot.

From the article:
Quote:
Today’s readers seem incapable of being overwhelmed.
Based on what I hear, I'd disagree. Readers are already overwhelmed with choices, making it harder and harder for them to find what they like. Despite the inherent distrust in Gatekeepers, readers still want a reliable place to tell them what's good, saving them the trouble of searching for it themselves.

That's one reason services like Amazon and B&N are so popular with average consumers: They tell the reader what's good or popular, removing the readers' need to search. They also serve the public by telling them when a new book is released by an author they've purchased in the past, making the author's promotional job easier, and making sure they aren't forgotten by their fans.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote