View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #2065
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Buy a Kobo or Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I call bullshit. A reader should work work without any connection to the internet. If I disable the reader's network, it should (IMHO) automatically disable all functionality that needs online access, instead of starting you to nag to connect.

If there's one thing that makes me abandon software, then it's nagging and trying to try and force things upon me.

I have a KPW1, and it already nags quite enough when inadvertently hitting a button that starts a function that needs web access, such as Wikipedia. If the KPW2 nags even more while using the device, that might prompt me to look into other readers in the future.
Definitely, you should buy a Kobo or Nexus. Kindles are not your cup of tea.

Kindles are designed to capture the entire user experience and forces them to use Amazon to buy their eBooks and/or music. WiFi is a necessity unless one has bought a Kindle with 3G.

As I stated earlier, if you insist on making side loading, Calibre management and stripping DRM with Apprentice Alf, you need an eReader FRIENDLY to those functions. Amazon is NOT friendly to those functions.

That is why the posts of the Calibre users here and non-Calibre users are so different in this Forum. We are living in different worlds.

Finally, Apple iPads and iPhones also try to force users to the Apple store. They may also not be friendly to Calibre users. Apple devices also seem to be more expensive than their competitors. They rely on brand loyalty to trump price.

The most open devices seem to be Nexus and Kobo. If I was a dedicated Calibre user, those are the devices I would seek to use. The Google Play store also seems to be the most open store for apps. Both Amazon and Apple seem to force alteration of the apps to fit their own branded devices exclusively.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-14-2013 at 04:45 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote