View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarq View Post
I'm not very computor savy so it would have to be easy for me to d/l my word docs and web pages onto it.
Assuming you have MS Word on your computer, the Sony PC-side software will accept MS Word Doc files (it uses Word to convert them for you automagically). The web pages, you'd probably have the extra step of copying them into Word. Or you can use the Calibre application to run them for you also automagically.

Quote:
DAK if an ereader or a small pc can be used on a plane?
Yup, they can -- I use my PRS500 on a plane at least twice a month these days. You will have to disable the wireless on a laptop, though, so make sure you know how to do that.

Quote:
Also what is the battery life/replacement like on the Sony?
The 505 was getting ~3 weeks on a charge before the latest firmware came out, it's too soon to tell if the firmware will affect that or not.

The battery isn't user-replaceable on the 505, unless you're an adventurous user.

Quote:
I find most mobile devices seem to need new batteries after a couple of years, some are not available and even if they are they never work as well as the originals.
I still have a PRS500 which is almost 2 years old. Its battery doesn't give me the ~4 weeks per charge it routinely turned out when it was new, but I am still getting ~3 weeks lately.

Quote:
I see the Sony505 is avaiable in the US, is there any reason not to buy 1 there and have it shipped? From what I've read on these boards the warrenty is practically worthless anyway.
I think with the 505 coming out in the UK so soon, I'd suggest you wait for it, if you can stand to. That'll avoid the warranty issue you've mentioned, and it'll be easier than shipping (plus no import duties for you). Besides, that'll give you a bit more time for research to make sure you're getting what you want -- that's the important bit, that you get something that fits your needs.

Quote:
Also, now I'm on a roll, with the Sony 505, is it possible to transfer txt files & web pages onto it, with out going through their site, and no doubt paying for it?
Yup, in fact they don't have any way to transfer stuff through their site, it's all done through the PC side software. And no, it doesn't cost any extra.

The PRS505 will handle TXT, RTF (no in-line pix on those though ), Sony's LRF/BBeB format (which you can get from Sony, Fictionwise.com, Feedbooks.com, our own e-book uploads section, Baen's Webscriptions.net and a few other places), and with the new firmware, PDF becomes a fairly valid option, plus, of course, epub, which stands a reasonable chance to become a de facto "standard" format for e-books, in my humble opinion.

Hope that helps some.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote