View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
bcv
bcv began at the beginning.

Device: Linux powered DIY book scanner
Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm going to look more into this, I like that when I've needed a warranty return in the past, BB didn't require me to keep my receipt (though I guess it's not that big a deal to hang onto it for 30 days or whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdittyr View Post
Is your Linux powered DIY book scanner automated?
The system is tethered, so images are automatically downloaded and processed. A timer can be set so that the cameras fire every x seconds instead of using a foot pedal to trigger them, but we prefer the pedal. Page flips are not automated- a reliable, nondestructive method for this just doesn't exist (yet).

The software was created under contract and isn't ready for release, but will be open-sourced under a Creative Commons: attribution license. It's really just scripting a bunch of already-existing Linux tools (gphoto2, imagemagick, some purpose-built software called ScanTailor that's kind of akin to Snapter...). The goal is to create a LiveCD offering a complete suite of tools for start-to-finish digitization. Linux users can just add a repository, while non-Linux users can just insert a disk into their computer to use the system, and remove it when they're done (or run the whole thing under Virtualbox).

The best place to learn more about the home-brew digitization movement is the DIY Book Scanner community: http://www.diybookscanner.org
bcv is offline   Reply With Quote