Thread: SF/Fantasy Poll
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Vance is wonderful. He writes prose that reminds me of intricately carved bas reliefs, and as you say, he writes in both categories. I prefer _The Dying Earth_ to _Eyes of the Overworld_ (which is a more or less sequel), but both are well worth the read.
______
Dennis
I discovered Vance because of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series--specifically The Shadow of the Torturer. I read somewhere that Wolfe's basic idea of the dying earth of the far future was very similar to Vance's The Dying Earth.

I have to say I agree. When I was reading The Dying Earth, I really felt that this book and Wolfe's New Sun series took place in the same universe. It doesn't, but I see all the similarities and am very happy to have discovered Vance.

Also, I've never read Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, but after reading this thread, I think I'm going to start tonight. I have several of them in e-book but just figured them to be the usual Tolkien knock-offs. Um, looks like I was way off!

Last edited by tsgreer; 10-07-2008 at 04:28 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote