View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #570
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
Depends. A lot of the time I'm OK with the touchscreen but when my arthritis flares so badly in my hands and my fingers basically freeze rigid, and I can't bend or use them at all, I find I can control the physical page turn buttons by just pressing down with the side of my hand. Basically I press down, exerting pressure, with the outside edge of my thumb. No dexterity needed from my individual fingers or thumbs. Where as with a touchscreen you need precise finger movements and if my fingers are frozen and unbendable I can't just use the side of my palm/hand or thumb or I touch too much surface and the reader goes crazy trying to figure out what I want it to do.

It can be confusing to someone who hasn't experienced it personally. Whereas it takes less pressure to use a touchscreen you need dexterity to use them and when you hands/fingers cease up you don't have that. So it's easier, and less painful, to simply exert pressure with the side of your hand or the side of the frozen fingers.

Most of the time it's less strength needed to use a touchscreen but sometimes my hands are useless for that and so I keep my Kindle 3 on standby for those days when I literally can't bend my fingers enough to use my touchscreen readers.

Hopefully I haven't confused you, I'm trying to explain it and probably mucked it totally up. Everyone's arthritis affects them differently but I know that's how it goes for mine making buttons easier than touchscreens on occassions.
Your arthritis seems less strenuous. It must be hard to write all this text with immobile fingers. My friend who also suffers hates his iPhone because of this.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote