View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
A few days ago I decided to order a Kobo Vox but I wanted to use my PayPal account. There was a PayPal icon and the words PayPal Express but the method of payment only had a credit card.

I phone Kobo and they bumped it up to 2nd level support according to the email I received. Yesterday I noticed that they removed the PayPal icon and the words Paypal Express. <sigh>

But today I happily purchased an eBook using my Paypal account. I have no idea what the difference in Kobo's perception between an eBook and a physical device. <deep sigh>
Hmmm...weird. Obviously they never intended to allow PayPal as a payment method. Maybe it's because Paypal provides an extra level of buyer protection for what you order/purchase. Since an electronic book is a small purchase and it can be done electronically, no real risk in anything going wrong. A whole slough of things can go wrong with the eReader (your shipment never arrives, damaged in transit to you, damaged while you have it - but you say it was shipping that damaged it). I mean, a credit card would provide the same sort of protection, by putting the burden of proof on the seller to prove that the item was received by getting a signature upon delivery, but it must have something to do with the fact that there are two avenues of buyer support if anything goes wrong with your transaction. Also, then Kobo may have to deal with PayPal AND the credit card company (depending on if a dispute is opened with one or both of them).

It could also be that the fees are much higher for PayPal than they are with the credit card companies (I sell stuff on eBay and PayPal fees are hideous). I have to admit that I love using PayPal as a buyer, though.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote