View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Cover art and DRM

I have read the various posts about cover art and DRM, but I haven't found a solution to my problem (and there may not be one!).

I have bought 4 books with DRM and none of them has come with a cover. I contacted the publisher (Hatchette) and was told that whilst they have rights to the book they sometimes don't have rights to the cover image, hence the e-book has no cover - which is also confirmed in various threads on here.

This makes no sense to me, its like taking your book to the counter and having the shop assistant rip the cover off! A 5th book I bought (Harper Collins) had a pseudo cover - a thick border down one side with different font but still nothing like the cover shown in the store. I know it makes no difference to the content, but I do like to see a cover when my kobo sleeps!

I can easily add covers in Calibre to non DRM books and these transfer easily to my kobo. But no luck with DRM books because you can't convert them.

Is it just bad luck that the books I have bought have no covers, or have others found this as well? It doesn't seem as rare as what the publishers have led me to believe - 5 out of 5 with no cover!

And to solve my problem, is there any way I can edit on the kobo to add a cover to a DRM book?

Thanks
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote