View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #71
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Thanks to all you super duper phone guys for the heads up.
It seems to me that maybe they should give out two numbers with the phones for each "service."

3G (number of bytes/sec) (battery hours of use at 3G)
4G/LTE (number of bytes/sec) (battery hours of use at 4G/LTE)

I saw Verizon running RVs out into the big city areas in the NE to provide charging stations for cell phones.
The military is delivering gasoline.

My buddy called me and said "I'm ok. I got a 1200 watt inverter and an auto jump box." I told him he would have to run his car to provide power for that baby pretty quick, so he better have a supply of gasoline also.

Heck, 1200 watts would run an electric space heater.
They can only give you the theoretical maximum the phone can achieve, which for HSDPA+ is usually 42Mb/s. LTE is supposed to exceed 100MB/s (you can't call it LTE if it does not provide 100Mb/s or more - but everybody uses the term loosely), but as far as I know there are no phones that can reach that, I believe current phones max out at about 75Mb/s. But these figures are "theoretical" maximums, you can achieve this in a lab in controlled situations, but there are so many variables affecting the signal (interference from other phones, bouncing off buildings, tress, cars, ...), and not least network saturation, that you can never get close to that maximum.

To muddle the waters even more, HSDPA+ (3G, or 3.5G as some call it) is not 4G, but it's been called 4G in many countries as a marketing ploy.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote