View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #74
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan View Post
I'm actually writing a science fiction novel where there are no genders and I have huge problems with pronouns. I tried doing something like himer or shim and it just make the writing clunky. I have a situation where three people are talking and I want one of them to shake their head to indicate no. It's easy to do agreement..."Ban nodded." But what I can't use, "They shook their head" because that may mean multiple people responded negatively.

Having genderless versions of he/she his/hers would be wonderful.
he/she/it. His/hers/its
If Ban is genderless (that is, is definitely known not to have a gender, rather than being of unknown gender), then 'it' is the correct English pronoun.
Ban nodded its head. Ban shook its head.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote