Thread: iLiad Semi-Standalone sshd?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I've been thinking it would be helpful to have a set of "services" scripts that do things like start/stop ssh, samba, eth0, wireless, etc. and show the current status of each and other useful info (running/stopped; IP address).

I think that people have posted what is needed to do all of these and I think it would be helpful to pull them all together in a single "Services" folder so they can easily be started or stopped at will. It should even be possible (I think) to set things up so that we can switch between several states. For example, the choices for ssh could be:

i) Start ssh now and start ssh at boot
i) Stop ssh now, but normally start ssh at boot
ii) Do not normally start ssh at boot. Start ssh manually now
ii) Stop ssh now, and do not start at boot

You then just keep clicking on the ssh entry in the contentlister until you get the setting you want. Each click changes the manifest to update what is shown in the contentlister in the appropriate way and changes the start scripts accordingly.

As I said above information about how to setup start/stop scripts are available from the fora, but they can be hard to find and a set of scripts maintained and post on the wiki might be easier for people.

I've started gathering the notes to start working on this. No promises about when I'll be done though

Last edited by daudi; 01-28-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: minor clarification
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote