View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
In Praise of Bad Reviews

I love bad reviews on Amazon.

They are so useful... I usually just glance at the good ones, and then head straight to the '1's'

Why? Well, a couple of reasons.

First off, people who are going to be thoughtful will rarely give a 1, and so if there are any competently written 1's I'll give them some serious attention. I'm not usually reading things that a thoughtful person would give a 1 (and by thoughtful I mean capable of intelligent, civil disagreement - they might not agree, but can see the difference between agreement and quality work) so this is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Of course, thoughtful is rarely the case. Usually the 1's are written by complete idjits of one variety or another but sometimes finding out who a book pisses off is a great way of knowing if you'll like it or the viewpoint being expressed. Since I tend to both academically and personally study religion.... the field is a bit of landmine and this is of enormous use. And, depending on what I find there, I might start looking at the high reviews, then the middle ones.

But the 1's save me a lot of time.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote