View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
First, thanks for doing the Extended driver.

Since your doing the work, I can't really complain, but ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
As I use the side-loaded reading stats more and more, I find more and more issues. ...
That is disappointing, from previous posts, it looked doable.

I would still like to see something done, maybe a separate utility, or an extended extended driver?
Quote:
... And as I read the "please don't do this" posts and talk to people on either side, I'm more and more convinced that this should be abandoned.
I'm not sure why default option of disabling it would cause any concerns.

It looks like close to half the people in the poll wanted the feature, which sounds like a pretty good reason to implement it. It seems like a lot more esoteric features have been implemented.

The only benefit I (personally see) is the kepub features in the extended driver, so I'm just going to stick with the current driver (I'm back a few versions) and firmware, and I'll switch back to epubs (and ditch the extended driver) when I need to update to the latest firmware.

For me, the Extended driver is going to be un-necessary.

Quote:
... the potential for issues is too great to allow this to be accidentally enabled. ...
I'm not sure I understand this thinking. If your afraid of it being enabled, have an idiot (or two) message box(s).

The shelving seems so complex (to the user), yet there is no problem implementing it.

I'm an adult, I don't need a nanny. If I want ease of use, I'll switch to a Kindle.

Quote:
... You must also understand that you can't talk to Kobo about any issues unless you remove all side-loaded KePubs added with this plugin version and then reproduce the issue with a KePub purchased and synced from Kobo.
Aren't we all doing this with kepub's now? With the database when we edit it for shelve problems? When we edit the config files? When we side-load fonts? When we manually load firmware? When we use plug-ins/patches?

Again, let the user decide, don't be a nanny.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote