View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #270
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
A more likely scenario is this: Mary uses a computer but isn't technically inclined when it comes to fixing issues with it. When she has a problem, she has her grandson John or her nephew Bill fix it. Or that nice boy Andy that lives next door who's good with computers. After all, he was probably the one who helped her with her new gadget in the first place. Suddenly Mary's watermarked ebook collection is on the internet.

I used to do tech support in a retirement community. I lived in that community for over a year. The DRM scheme you propose brings this very scenario to mind every time I think about it.
Mostly off topic, but somewhat related, I have never understood why My Documents isn't encrypted with a distinct password. It's analogous to having a safe inside a bank. When the bank is closed, there is sufficient protection, but when it opens, anyone can come in and walk around -- fill his pockets with lollipops and ink pens -- but the money is kept in a safe that requires a second level of access. Someone who is working on or has stolen a PC would not likely be able to get to tax returns and other sensitive documents if they were stored in an encrypted container.

Last edited by wizwor; 11-10-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typo
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote