View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #30
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
From what I see, the file "words" contains only the words stored in the dictionary (the "keys"), in several variants --- e.g., singular/plural for the Italian one.
Thank you for sharing. Actually, I just found the same (had to install Ubuntu first). So I was rather close to the truth by saying "all values in the key-dictionary are empty or irrelevant."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Hence, file "words" can be used only to know whether a query word is present in the dictionary or not.
They will use it also for populating the list of choices if you start typing in the search field of the dictionary screen.

As for the Japanese dictionary, there seem to be more steps involved for attesting whether a word is present in the dictionary. In Japanese, there are (at least) two ways of writing a word, in Kanji (logographic characters) and in Kana (phonological characters). In the flle "words", both kinds of writing an expression are put one after the other (Kana[Kanji]). As I understand marisa, it can find strings that match the search string exactly and strings that start with the search string. So in order to search for a Kanji in "words" it would be necessary to pair the Kanji with the Kana reading first.

Last edited by tshering; 11-06-2012 at 08:44 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote