Thread: Touch Excessive Battery Use?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #26
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I am at least going to give it a shot on an exchange (hopefully for a new unit). Part of what worries me is that the battery was completely flat out of the box, which makes me think a bum battery. The battery gauge is also the most innaccurate thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

There still seems to be some drain going on for me, even with reseting after a charge, but not as bad. It is hard to tell though.

Last night I checked at about 8:30pm, the battery reported as 93%, then 5 minutes later when I "double checked" it was to 96% again. I checked again at around 10:30pm and it read 95%. I went to sleep, woke up and checked it at about 6:30am and it read 91% for about 3 seconds and then flashed 71%. Crap. I checked it again right before leaving my house 5 minutes later and it read 70%. I got in to work a few minutes ago, checked it again and it read 70% for a second, and then back to 91%.

The temperature variation on the device can't be more than maybe 2-3F at any point in checking it (with the exception that checking it after getting in to work it might have been a little cooler without having fully warmed from having been in my brief case in a cold car for a 15 minute drive).

So to a degree I am willing to chalk it up to a horribly innaccurate battery meter to some degree, so long as there appears to be no significant drain continuing. I am going to try topping it off on my computer tonight both to go in to my 8 day vacation (starting tomorrow) with a full battery charge, and see if topping off on a computer combined with a reset/power off does anything (maybe even simply recalibrates the battery meter a little more?).

If I still seem to have bad drain (battery not lasting the length of the vacation) than I am going to try to exchange it the weekend I get home and hope they will do that (it was a gift and I don't have the gift recipte, I stupidly threw it out) and hope I have better luck with the next one.

If I just can't get the battery to work properly than, I also am going to be stuck going with a Kindle. I dislike that because I also generally like the hardware on the nook touch better, with the exception of these battery issues, and generally like the interface/OS/Software on the nook better as well (I'd change a few things, but mostly I like it).

Having 3GB of user accessible storage (without needing an SD card) and a working battery would be nice. I'll miss the physical page turn buttons, shelves, fast paging and slightly smaller size/weight though (I also HATE having a power button on the bottom of the device, I know darn well I'll end up powering it off plenty of times by accident reading on it). I NEED something that is going to last more than a week on a single charge though.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote