View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
How is Kobo's Customer Service?
As others have said, your mileage may vary but my experience with them has been great. They have successfully resolved every issue I've had, and usually relatively quickly. My partner and several other people I know all have Kobos as well, and either haven't had any problems or have seen all their problems resolved.

Quote:
Is returning a product i don't like as easy as it is on Amazon?
When you buy a Kindle, Amazon is both the manufacturer and the retailer. The question you're asking is for the retailer side of their business. Therefore the answer depends on where you buy your Kobo. Ask your retailer before you buy what their return policy is. For example, Chapters/Indigo (possibly the world's biggest retailer of Kobos, unless FNAC has them beat now) has a 30 day return policy if the Kobo is bought online, and a 14 day return policy if it's bought in store (though an online-purchased Kobo can be returned in store).

Return policy is retailer-based, warranty policy is usually manufacturer-based and that's a different question.

Quote:
Is the Kobo stable? I see a few threads just on the first page of freezes and crashes.
Mine's rock solid. I agree with others who say that the concerns are exaggerated by happy customers reading their Kobos and unhappy customers complaining about them.

Quote:
What features do you like/made you decide to buy your Kobo Glo?
- Support for open formats,
- Kobo easily has the very best e-reading devices on the market where I live (Canada)
- Kobo has one of the largest e-book stores going
- Kobo regularly offers generous discount codes for non-agency books (and lots more books are going to be non-agency shortly)
- I like spirited underdogs (though Kobo's no longer the underdog where I live, they still are globally)
- I disagree with the business practices of one of Kobo's major competitors (Amazon)

And while this reason didn't contribute to my decision, because I found out about it afterward, had I known in advance it would have factored in:

- the texture of the Kobo Glo screen has a texture that's got a touch of resistance to it and feels more like sliding your finger across paper.

Quote:
What is the touch screen like? Is it capacitive like the Kindle Paperwhite? If not which is it? Infrared? Which is better, capacitive or infrared?
It's infrared. IR has the advantage of requiring one less layer on top of the screen, which some have speculated contributes to (compared to the Kindle PW) a more realistic and more paper-like display. I can't personally attest that it looks more realistic than a PW, but I can attest that it's amazingly paper-like.

Quote:
As always, thanks for any and all help!
You're very welcome.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote