View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Quote:
The mobi file you've imported doesn't support changing the metadata. When you convert it you're taking the content and putting it into a mobi container that supports changing the metadata.
Just to be sure I understand: so there are some mobi/prc files that don't permit changing metadata, even though they have the .mobi or .prc extension? I didn't know this - it would explain a lot; namely, why the metadata for these files isn't being changed when I Send to Device to reflect the changes I've made inside Calibre! If I were to do a Save to Disk with Calibre, would that have the same effect as using mobi2mobi - taking the content and putting it into a new container that supports changing metadata? Is there any easy way to tell from within Calibre which files will permit metadata changes and which ones I have to do further manipulation on before sending to the Kindle (which is my device)?

Quote:
It sounds like you are still using 0.5.x. It's been awhile since I've done anything that version. 0.6 was just released and it makes moving the library very easy...
No, I am using v 0.6 (or the beta, rather - haven't made the final switch yet) - have been since the beta was released. I've just never tried to move the library, and now that I've decided I want to, I didn't know how to do it.

I think Calibre is absolutely fantastic - only wish the documentation were more thorough. That's not a criticism - I totally get that the developer is busy with other very important things, and I'd even offer to help with documentation myself; I just don't think I have a thorough enough understanding to be the one to do it. But I feel like there are lots of features or aspects of the program that the developer has put time and effort into but that I either don't fully understand or don't even know about, and wish I did so I could take advantage of them (another is the "Series" feature of the Calibre metadata - I read something recently that suggested something happens if you transfer all items in a series to the device at the same time? Maybe I should open a new thread to ask about this...)

Anyway, thanks very much for this - I really appreciate your help!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote