View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 03:30 AM   #24
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilC
Would it not be possible to have a pdf file optimised for printing/reading on a pc where there are tags showing what is text, what is tables etc, so that a conversion program could quickly adapt it for a pda?
It would be possible to do quite a lot -- one thing I would like to see reflowing maintaining the line spacing of the original. It would also be possible to do zooming/scaling in terms of the page CropBox (I think it is)-- that would make it possible to set personal page margin preferences.

Unfortunately ... some of it rather gets away from PDF as a page description language: it wasn't really designed for this. I think other solutions are better for the situation where the same 'book' will be read on different devices, at least for now. Sony Reader will not use tagging, at least not initially -- I suspect that's more or less the case for the iLiad as well.

Bill McCoy notes somewhere that matching a print master PDF to a PDF reading device with a different format is a challenge -- but that Adobe is working on it. (Pan and scan?:-) Unfortunately there seem to more info on what that involves.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote