View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
In that case Amazon needs to embrace ePub and provide access to their store for non-Kindle owners, and I'm not talking about the Kindle for PC application.
Yeah, I doubt that's going to happen. At a minimum Amazon will want you tied into Whispernet, so officially any app or device you use will need that capability. Amazon moving to ePub is not going to change that. Bezos has even said in the past he'd support other ebook readers, if they supported Whispernet -- though realistically, I think we all know the chances of that are pretty much zero.

I.e. there's a bit of spin to his assertions, but the basic idea is that Amazon wants you to buy their ebooks even if, for whatever reason(s), you don't buy a Kindle device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
And while you are at it, how about getting the stupidity of geo-restrictions resolved?
As already mentioned, you're dealing with a few decades worth of contracts and international laws (including which government gets to collect the sales taxes / VAT for an Internet-based sale).

Like it or not, Amazon's international services, or Sony selling via region-specific ebook retailers, are probably as good as it's going to get for awhile.

Also, in terms of Amazon applying pressure to the publishers et al, don't forget there is a great deal of conflict right now. E.g. Amazon and other retailers are pushing hard for a $10 price point; publishers are pushing back by delaying ebook releases. Everyone is scrambling for rights, dealing with the Google scanning project, etc. So I don't think anyone really has any special leverage or political capital to spare right now.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote