View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
I have a Kindle fixed layout template which works fine. But in this instance I used images which were from a pdf and when I previewed the .mobi everything looked good except the font is too small to read. Now I have done these types of books before ( childrens books with larger text ) but this book is more like a magazine layout. I need to know how and if I can get the pages to zoom in with a pinch if possible off a Kindle Fire or similar. I see no books like this in the .mobi format.

If I did this book in an epub and viewed on an IPad I can easily magnify the pages with a pinch.

Any help here as the alternative is to do the book with flowing text and I will not be able to use the background.

( think of a magazine page with a zoom feature)

is this possible.

any help?
Yes, you have to create a fixed-format book with region magnification. You can see images of samples, plus download samples and the correct coding by going here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000729511 That is the only way. You can't selectively zoom text, or do the type of Apple-y "pinch zoom" you're thinking about on the Fire. I mean, you can zoom it, but readers won't be happy doing that for an entire children's book, and it can't be done on the other readers (smartphones, etc.), so Amazon requires the RM feature. (Region Magnification).

Those "templates" that are popping up everywhere are, more or less, useless because this problem is rife--the font is simply too small. Be advised, if you publish the book without RM, and if Amazon receives any complaints, they will ask you to take it down and fix it. The question is the "if;" if they don't get any complaints, you won't have an issue.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote