View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #272
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
Hello,
thanks to yifanlu and all the others for the Jailbreak!

How to get SSH?
I have tried "Simple usbnet update 1.1" of of yifanlu, but i can not connect.
I only want access over WiFi.
Why does the ssh server autostart on boot? If we forget do disable it, it will drain battery fast.

Thanks,
Takeo
I haven't figured out how to do it over wifi, but here's how I did it via the USB cable. (I'm assuming you already did the jailbreak and have installed yifanlu's ssh mod) I posted this in another thread, but I'm reposting it here since you asked how to do it.

1) Restart the Kindle

1) If you have not followed the readme instructions and set a password yet, do so by entering ";un password YOUR_PASSWORD" in the search bar on the main screen (don't put in the quotes and replace "YOUR_PASSWORD" with the password you want to use)

2) Enter ;un (or ;usbnetwork) in the search bar on the main screen

3) Attach the Kindle via USB to your computer

4) Linux/Macs will list it as a new network adapter rather than the standard drive

4b) Window's users will need to install the Linux RDNIS I don't know where to get this, I used a Linux VM on my Windows machine (it was easier to me)

5) Set the new adapter's ip address to 192.168.15.1 (or anything in the 192.168.15.XXX range)

6) Open a terminal and enter "ssh root@192.168.15.244" (minus the quotes)

6b) Windows users use putty or some such SSH program

7) It should prompt you to connect and ask you for your password. After that you should be in!

Like I said, I'm still not sure how to do it via wifi, but I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote