View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex5150 View Post
Hi All

I'm pretty sure Calibre holds the monopoly so the author can impose any draconian rules they feel like, but are there any alternate aplications that do more or less the same thing?

The reason I'm looking at jumping ship is due to the 'do it my way, or bugger off' attatute to directory structure. Yes I've read the FAQ, and yes I've seen his thinking on it, but that does NOT cover every eventuality.

I want to access my library directly from one of my android devices, I know EXACTLY the structure I want, and no, I won't be magicly wanting to do something differnt with the stuctre once it is in place as the FAQ claims you will in its excuse/defence of the 'do it my way' rule. So I have three options the way I see it:
1) Wait for Calibre to come out on Android.
2) Sift through an increadly badly designed file structure every time I need to find something.
3) Jump ship.

I can't see '1' happening any time soon, '2' is what I'm suffering with now, and '3' looks more and more atractive every time I add a new aurthor.

I know this annoys the hell out of a LOT of people, is there any software that will allow me to organise MY library the way I want it?

-Mex
Yes the author controls how calibre works - what do you want for NOTHING.

Apple and Microsoft control how OS/X and Windows work - but you cant get them for NOTHING

Have a look at the calibre change log, new features are added EVERY WEEK, most of which are in response to the expressed needs, wants and wishes of calibre users. You'll also see that there are bug fixes EVERY WEEK, if you look at the launchpad links you'll see that most bugs are fixed with a week of being reported. Name one other software product with 3,400,000 active users in the last 2 months that can match that!!

I can think of some commercial software which have had defects for decades. A well known word processor has this one - if you type —” it will result in —“ - that bug has been there for at least 7 years and in 3 Pay4me versions.

You ask if there's an alternative to calibre - sure download the source for NOTHING and do it your way for NOTHING

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-08-2013 at 05:21 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote