View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #56
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hmm... NatCh ? what say you ?

could someone have made a play from Brautigan's poems ? it's not implausible, based on NatCh's description "It's actually a pretty freaky little play, but fun if you're in the right frame of mind for it."

thanks for the linky anyway, whether or not it is the same book, it looks quite interesting !
I dunno. The play didn't seem at all like a compilation of verse. I think it's more likely that the playwright had come in contact with the title (possibly indirectly) and liked it, so he used it.

I'm not sure I'd really 'recommend' the play, per se. It was about a group of actors who were trying to tell what amounts to a basic boy-meets-girl-etc. type of story, but the playwright (yes this was a character in the play, he sat in the audience) kept changing things. The play started as a greek tragedy, changed to something quasi-Shakespearian (complete with an advertising ditty to the tune of "Greensleeves"), then morphed into a plain old present-day cocktail party type venue, then moved on to something modern-interpretive, and finally ended up with one character, alone (it increasingly lost characters as it moved from phase to phase), on the stage in a shrinking spotlight trying desperately, and unsuccessfully to somehow make the playwright happy so she wouldn't be left alone in the dark.

The stage manager and director (my part) were characters too, 'til they quit the show in frustration (the mercury line was one of the director's), but they were up on the stage. There was one scene where the actors run amok through the audience pretending to stab audience members with their rolled up scripts ... I think it was the transition between the Greek and Shakespearian variants.

Thinking back on it, it may have been a comment on the evolution of theater and a prediction of what the author saw as a possible eventual outcome of that pattern. Or it might have been a comment on the amount of power writers (should?) have over productions. Or the guy could have been writing it on a bet ... while drunk.

On the emotifaction issue, I tend to try to write as much nuance into my posts as I can, but I make liberal use of the smilies to reinforce that. I figure I'd rather be understood, and I don't always have an hour to devote to a single post. I also like to use them to indulge in my dry, twisted humor, while still communicating clearly that I'm joking.

Besides, I kinda like the little guys.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote