View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #69
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Goal: Read 18.250 pages in 2013.

For people who want to know how I got to this goal, read the spoiler

Spoiler:

This year, I've decided to set a goal. I don't like to use "Books per year", as my books range from 250 page fantasy stuff up to tomes like Lord of the Rings, Shogun, or IT. Therefore I've decided to use "Pages per year", like the following.

- The average p-book paperback in my book case has 2400 characters per page.
- I've used "Count Pages" in Calibre, and set it to 2400 characters/page.
- Then I've added all pages of all books I've read so far (6.641, May 13th, 2013)
- Then I've divided this by the number of days since the beginning of 2013 (132)

The result is 50.31 pages per day. This is quite correct: when setting Count Pages to 2400 characters/page, I read about 25 pages an hour, and I read mostly in public transport, which is around 2 hours per day for me. I also read +/- 2 hours per day in the weekend.

Therefore, I have set a goal of 365 x 50 = 18.250 pages for 2013.

At the beginning of this year, I already set the goal to re-read all of my paper books as an e-book. (In time, not all in 2013.) That's why there will be quite a lot of "I thought every reader would have read that stuff years ago"-books in the list, alongside some new ones

Series:
Brooks, Terry - Paladins of Shannara [1] - Allanon's Quest - 36 pages
Brooks, Terry - Paladins of Shannara [3] - The Black Irix - 41 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Original Shannara Trilogy [1] - The Sword of Shannara - 604 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Original Shannara Trilogy [2] - The Elfstones of Shannara - 537 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Original Shannara Trilogy [3] - The Wishsong of Shannara - 502 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [1] - The Scions of Shannara - 423 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [2] - The Druid of Shannara - 389 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [3] - The Elf Queen of Shannara - 373 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [4] - The Talismans of Shannara - 419 pages
Eddings, David - The Elenium [1] - The Diamond Throne - 370 pages
Eddings, David - The Elenium [2] - The Ruby Knight - 349 pages
Eddings, David - The Elenium [3] - The Sapphire Rose - 499 pages
Eddings, David - The Tamuli [1] - Domes of Fire - 458 pages
Eddings, David - The Tamuli [2] - The Shining Ones - 470 pages
Eddings, David - The Tamuli [3] - The Hidden City - 465 pages
Salvatore, R.A. - The Legend of Drizzt [1] - Homeland - 280 pages
Salvatore, R.A. - The Legend of Drizzt [2] - Exile - 268 pages
Salvatore, R.A. - The Legend of Drizzt [3] - Sojourn - 274 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - Lord of the Rings [1] - The Fellowship of the Ring - 490 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - Lord of the Rings [2] - The Two Towers - 387 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - Lord of the Rings [3] - The Return of the King 622 pages

Separate books:
Brooks, Terry - First King of Shannara - 478 pages
Clavell, James - Shogun - 1.170 pages
Dickens, Charles - A Christmas Carol - 86 pages
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Disintegration Machine - 20 pages
Ende, Michael - The Neverending Story - 313 pages
King, Stephen - IT - 1.169 pages
King, Stephen - Night Shift - 334 pages
King, Stephen - Pet Sematary - 391 pages
Sewell, Anna - Black Beauty - 166 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - The Hobbit - 247 pages

Total Read: 12.630 of 18.250 pages.
Total books: 31 (Including short stories.)

Currently Reading: None. Challenge Finished.
Result: FAILED

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-02-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote