View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest In the Beginning...Was the Command Line by Neal Stephenson, which is a humorous book about Linux vs Windows.

Also The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric S. Raymond, which is available free via this link to the authors web page or you can buy the commercial ebook from O'Reilly. This might be harder to read, but ESR has shorter works on his web page and the language used is likely to be similar to what you will come across talking to others with a computer background.

I agree with wayspooled that Larry Niven's science fiction would be a good choice. FictionWise has many of his best short stories as individual titles. If you like them, then Baen's Webscriptions has several of his novels (the ones written jointly with Jerry Pournelle). I like The Mote in God's Eye best, but Oath of Fealty might be a better introduction.

Last edited by wallcraft; 06-06-2009 at 02:33 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote