View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a matter of interest, would the British phrase "full stop" be recognised by an American audience? The American word "period" would probably not be recognised by the overwhelming majority of British readers - the word means something else entirely in British English.
I am familiar with the term full stop, but probably only from reading Douglas Adams and others. (Also where I learned of "zebra crossing.")

Period has several meanings in American English. Aside from the punctuation mark, it primarily refers to a span of time.
What does it mean by you?

Back on topic, as I think I said earlier in the thread, I use semicolons regularly to end lines of C-style computer code. Even as a AP English Comp student, I have never clearly understood how or why I'd use them in prose, and the need to do so has never come up.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 03-07-2013 at 09:59 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote