View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #122
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I had thought about this a while ago (a year?), and I was excited by the idea at the beginning, but I got less so over time. I'm not sure I remember all the details, but I think a part of it is that internal links would be a big complication. Most of the simple actions (key strokes, pointer presses) are already being used for image-related operations. Adding new actions that people have come to expect for PDFs (links, search, columns, history, notes,...) starts to look more and more painful (especially considering the small number of buttons on the 611).

If the idea is to not bother with those complications and just treat each page as an image, then using something like k2pdfopt to convert the original PDF to a new PDF of images seems to make more sense to me. You can use it to resize the contents to better fit the device, and can get around a lot of the issues with gamma and antialiasing in the native PB apps. I've tried it myself, and it makes the PDF much easier to read, but found that I really start to miss those PDF-specific features. I expect the same thing would happen if I did a half-assed port into pbimageviewer.

So, if the idea is to port over mupdf, then I think it should go into its own application. I don't have time for such a job, but if you're interested, I could help a bit with the PocketBook-specific stuff (i.e libinkview) if you went ahead with it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote