View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Country2220
Country2220 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Depends on your file format

Hi there. Also from Ontario, Canada. Have had my Ebookwise 1150 for about 3 weeks. Seller on ebay was great and it was here within a week! But it is my opinion that the advertising is misleading. Yes the 1150 will read the formats listed but if you don't spend time on each book that you already have Editing this format - and that includes HTML and Rich text formats - then you will not be reading comfortably! There is a program you can buy. I downloaded same for the trial period - as an experienced computer user - but not a computer geek - I did not find this program easy nor quick. Between converting my already purchased html ebooks into rich text; then running them thru the program for errors, then back again editing for line spacing etc. You can expect to spend a lot of time "editing" those ebooks.
If you buy directly from fictionwise or ebookwise web sites into the OB1 (as I call it) format then they download beautifully, but neither site has all the books that I enjoy and unless you buy during a sale or buy Old books - I found the site quite pricey for the newer ebooks! I have used a Dell Axel pda for the past 3-4 years and found it much easier & used html format ebooks but it is getting a bit old and was really hopeful for the 1150; but for myself and the books I have (about 250+) I find I would be better off with something like the Eee PC surfer model or one of the similar type machines which will be apparently coming out in the new year. I'll be watching for these and probably look to buy in the next year or so and just hope my pda continues on for a bit.
I can use the 1150 and it is good, but I definitely did not find it easy to use with file format ebooks other than those ebooks which I can buy thru their own website.
It also does not allow you to make "backup" copies as nothing else reads thoat OB1 file format. And if this site disappears, then you better have those books on a Smart Media card!
This unit using the html would have been a real winner.
Good luck with editing your already owned ebooks. If you find a quick way to edit them for the OB1 format upload - please post. Me, if I don't buy the ebooks from those sites directly for the 1150 - then I'll buy the html files for my pda and have to switch between them until I buy a different unit, maybe the Eee pc?
Country2220 is offline   Reply With Quote