View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia575 View Post
Also, are any Kindle owners thinking "yeah, that Nook sure looks better?" I don't want to get a Kindle and immediately wish I had waited for the Nook.
Nah, not really (apart from the fact I can't buy the Nook anyway ). It certainly looks nice, and the little colour screen looks nice - but, I know from how I feel about using my iPod Touch, that using a touch screen to navigate lack the physical feedback you get from buttons, you need to be able to see what you're doing and it's not great on such a small screen. Ability to read epub from other vendors is a big plus (not happened yet though I think?) over the Kindle, which is rather locked in.

What I really like about the Kindle the ability (with a little bit of fiddling) to use a translation dictionary. I want to improve my German vocabulary, and it's a great help when reading German that I can look up words. I also like the ability to make notes with the keyboard, it's quite fast and easy to use.

The newly introduced PDF functionality on the Kindle is basic. You can't control zoom or display size, it just zooms to fit width, vertically or horisontally. You can't annotate in PDFs either.

Unless you remove DRM, you can't use it for library books or books bought in other shops than Amazon.

Have you considered a Sony Touch ('Sony 600')? AFAIK it might fit your needs better.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote