View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #12
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Sending can be slow sometimes, but it also depends on the size of the files. I sent about 650 files to my device and they too kabout 4 gigs of space (some 100 megs lrf in there). First calibre seems to manage the files in the temp dir and then send them to the device. The first step takes maybe 30 min or less and then it starts sending.

Main problem with sony 505 or maybe even 700 (haven t tested on the later), is when you send such large files the collection data gets corrupted and all that remains is the number of books. There is a tool on this forum that allows you to create the xml so it shows the correct collections. Have yet to try it, but it might be a good option for sending large files!

Edit: Here is the software that creates the xml : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29217

Might be the only solution to keep collection data in! (could maybe be a nice idea for a pluggin for someone who knows python.)
Hmm...yes, I think the collection data has gotten corrupted but from what and how I don't know. In any case, I have accidentally deleted my entire ebook library and now have to re-add the books. Luckily I have copies of all my books elsewhere because I'm managing the books in two ways:
1. using Calibre to manage the books and send them to the PRS-700
2. using EndNote, a citation program, to keep copies of the book and maintain full citation so I can cite when I need to for my writing.

So, again, yes 99.99% of my books are PDFs files. I basically refuse to use other formats unless I have to because I think PDFs is a universal format not only for readers but for computers too. In addition, it is a format that's true to the actual book layout which is important to me if I want to be able to properly cite a piece of work for scholarly uses.

Oh, by the way, that programme you linked to is for PCs only. While I can run PC under virtualisation (using Parallels) on a Mac, I'd rather not because it's such a hassle flipping back and forth from Mac to PC and back again.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 04-18-2009 at 02:05 AM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote