View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #28
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Oh bloodlover but these characters ARE interesting.

Spoiler:
They are meant to appear provincial, shallow, narrow minded and with a narrow view, naive, un-knowledgeable and even stupid.
It is what MM wanted to portray. She (via Scarlett) proves that Scarlett's world was doomed to end.
Most of them were spoiled brats and the fact that you got angry at some of the characters is good. You were meant to.
This is not a "feel good" book. It's the end of the world for a sub-culture and it's told from the perspective of the losers, it must have a bitter feel to it. Ultimately you were made to feel that they deserved what happened, which again, is the point.

(Though why did you want to throw the book at the poor guy in the cafe, did he look like Melanie? )

I'm sorry if I went to far talking about what you got from the book, I do not want to sound patronising. Only you can know your mind but I only used what you wrote.

I am not a literature graduate or a knowledgeable person when it comes to book critiques.
The genres I read are thrillers and SF&F not romance or literary fiction and yet, in my opinion, this book is more than just a good book.

Maybe you should read it again
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote