View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Sorry, I must be dim this morning... browsing for what? (E-books, I assume.) When you say "unsecured network," are you talking about a particular site, or some branch of the web itself? And by browsing, do you mean just seeing what files are on the network, or opening them, buying them, etc?
He means connecting your computer to the internet using someone else's WiFi network without their permission.

This is illegal in the UK, and a number of people have been prosecuted for it.

Quote:
It seems to be that the onus should be on the WiFi owner to secure their network, if leaving it open could leave them open to prosecution. If they decide to leave it open, it should be legal for people to use it (after all, they are not all doing illegal things).
I'm afraid I disagree. The fact that someone leaves the front door of their house standing open doesn't make it legal for other people to go into that house and use the owner's possessions without their permission. No more does the fact that a WiFi network is unsecured make it legal to use it without permission.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote