View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #57
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not so easy when you have different possibilities:

and yet—and yet -> and yet – and yet (a punctuating dash)
a bur—a hobbit -> a bur— a hobbit (a dash marking an incomplete word or speech).
i don't follow your examples - sorry.
can you try again with a "for dummies version" please.
I have often successfully flipped the emdash and endash approaches with no problem.
I believe one is the UK publishers standard & the other is the USA standard but I forget which way around they go.

replacing space+endash+space with emdash seems a safe replace-all command to me

replacing the tacky double dash--as found in some old books is also straightforward - it only occurs in text, not in any XML declarations.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote