Thread: Which processor
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAutoPilot View Post
If they are just a distributor, what good is a warranty? I doubt they would actually *fix* something that is returned to them, more than likely just replace it.

I never came out and asked them yet if they designed it, but even if they did I can almost guarantee you that it will have been made in China, after all what's not today? Send them an email and ask your questions directly.

Well, warranty aside, I'm not sure I want to deal with a company trying to claim they are the manufacturer (instead of simply stating they are a distributor of re-branded goods)...

Who ever heard of a "leading system manufacturer" that doesn't list an address or phone number...

I posted a question asking if they are the manufacturer or simply a distributor in the forum on their site - we'll see if I get a reply or if the post gets deleted/edited...
Presumably if they have no capability of "fixing" it they'd just replace it. Remember this is the US and they have a legal requirement to honor their warranty, and quite frankly I trust them more with free shipment in US v. having to pay $30 to send it elsewhere, not to mention that shipping time will be a couple of days at most v. possibly months.

Anyways, we'll just have to wait and see more with flatcomputing as I don't see anyone writing about having received one yet which makes me even more inclined to believe that it IS a ZT-180 rebrand.

Back to the rebranding business, ever hear of Clevo? A rebrand of a Taiwanese ODM that makes LOTS of notebooks for LOTS of companies, e.g. Alienware/Dell. You can buy these (and others) from "custom" builders who also offer warranties and, apparently, honor them as I've not seen hew and cry at notebook review, although for the "custom" notebook sellers you're mostly better off going with one of the "brand" names or a Taiwanese seller. MSI & ASUS amongst others also do this, but they have the drawback of directly competing since they also sell direct retail as well.

Thought of another question wrt Witstech: Notice any heat? (Just asking since I recalled reading about heat w/Eken M001 models, but I presume that was because they overclocked it a bit, and had not heatsink...)

[EDIT]
You MAY have heard of Clevo as Sager... at notebookreview and other places they "classify" these "whitebox" sellers as "boutique" "brands"... so it's entirely possible to get good service from a re-brander... In Sager's case they actually DO "repair" notebooks, although in the case of electronics products, which I should have been more clear about above, they'll likely replace the entire faulty component to "fix" it, e.g. bad RAM/CPU/motherboard replace the motherboard as the CPU and DRAM are likely soldered to the mb, broken cable, replace cheaply available cable world over, dead battery again replace battery with one available everywhere, so it CAN be "fixed" in a sense, but the mfg sense that you are talking about is just never going to happen as it's usually too labor intensive(expensive) to actually "fix" a dead mb unless it's a prototype...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
I must say that Pandigital is now likely to be a shell company of a Chinese company given
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...d=%27POTPRD07T
as to their attestations for the 3G version of the PDN...

Not the mfg of the ruler...

ah the games that we play...
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
This is the slatedroid thread with the various discount deal for the PDN... address of slatedroid may change, and this might break as it uses an IP address rather than domain name:
http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/showt...hls-deal-codes

generic devices forum appears to be MIA ATM so no more word on the ZT-180 and other new Cortex-A8 tablets...
[/EDIT3]

[EDIT4]
And here is a link to the forum of Chinese retailers to either buy from or avoid like the black plague
http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/forum...e!!!-%E2%98%A0

There are more spread throughout the rest of the forums, but there are several subforums MIA ATM...
[/EDIT4]

[EDIT5]
The Generic Devices w/Cortex A8 info aren't lost, just apparently still in the process of being moved over according to a recent admin post... along with some of the other sub-forums...

This
http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/forum...-Tablet-Market
is the general market forum, but best bet for further vendor info is to look in forums related to the device that you are purchasing... as this forum SHOULD be changed inthe near future...
[/EDIT5]

[EDIT6]
Another tablet being sold in US @ KMART
http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/GENTOUCH.html
800MHz CPU haven't had a chance to look over the rest of teh specs yet though...
probably better than PDN.. but...

$149
[/EDIT6]

[EDIT7]
I'm guessing either 800MHz cortex A8 or telechips ARM11... if it's a cortex it's a steal... but even a telechips is better than the PDN @ 533MHz even if it doesn't have a DSP co-processor.
[/EDIT7]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-27-2010 at 01:45 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote