View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Looking at the November vote what is see is 12 votes for A Canticle For Leibowitz and 59 votes for something else (including 11 votes for Hyperion). If we really wanted the book most people would want as a first choice to achieve this with the current polling software limitation the procedure would be a preliminary vote as is done now (open or closed) and then a head-to-head contest between the top two in the first poll. If a single poll is retained then an open poll at least allows people some means to express their second choice when apparent that their first choice has no chance of being selected; particularly useful when the contest comes down to second choice versus highly undesirable choice.
We did have what most people wanted as first choice. Notice the book with the 12 votes? That was the one most people voted for. Why would we need a run-off vote? We wouldn't. We already had the winner and the winner was what most people chose. It wasn't a case of "the books I was going to vote for won't win so I'll vote for a different book". It was a case of "I have no idea the current results so I'll vote for the book I want most". Notice how we didn't have a clear run away vote for two or three different books? We on;y had such because when the open voting got to a certain point, people figured they won't waste their vote on a book that won't win and vote on one that has a chance. So that then limits what's voted on. That makes the winner maybe not the true winner. It skews the results and makes then not the actual results. November was a very good vote. It's shows what can be accomplished if we vote truly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote