View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #65
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
Oh, for sure. That's why I think it would have to be an optional setting initial during install, one that perhaps can't be changed once you've started using the program. One option would simply be for it to work the way it is right now, the other option would be for manual storage management, giving the user 100% of the responsibility of managing the storage. Making Calibre less of a self-contained solution, and more of a front-end book browser and data management system.

Oh, yes, there are a lot of pitfalls and a lot of problems that users could run into with manual storage. The user would have to be very responsible indeed and be careful not to move files without manually updating Calibre, and also be very organized about how they store their files. But some of us are indeed that careful and that organized and we like it.

Since making this happen would be such a mammoth undertaking I'm not holding my breath, and instead I will continue to use Calibre while also keeping all my books organized how I want them in a separate folder structure.

Yeah, that's right, all my books are stored twice on my computer. Once by Calibre and once by me how I want them.

Why use Calibre then?

Well, I basically use Calibre as a database that keeps track of what books I have, what I've read, where I bought them, etc. It allows me to filter by author, length, year, and a tonne of other data points. Basically, it lets me browse my library and filter my library in ways that I could never do if I just had them stored on the hard drive. And it lets me do a few technical things, like adding covers, converting between formats and stripping DRM.

I realize full well that to some people all this seems pointless and like I'm doing a lot of extra work for no reason. It doesn't seem that way to me, this way I can have the best of both worlds, even if it does require a bit of extra work that wouldn't be necessary if Calibre supported manual file management.

Anyway, I don't want it to sound like I'm bitter and unappreciative. Trust me, I'm not. Calibre is a great program that makes managing the information about my books quite easy.
I have my books stored at least 7 times (or is it 27 times). I went through the save as, the everything in the filename stage, and probably some more bizarre stages, before saying aha, I don't have to do this.

And the things I have gone through with various conversion problems, only to have a big improvement in calibre make all that bother obsolete I am currently fussing over numerous PDF files to get them just right, but I am sure Kovid will perfect the PDF processing the very minute I am through

Calibre has progressed mightily since 2010 when I got my first ereader and it was pretty swell then, and if I counted all the times that Kovid and/or chaley have taken time to help me personally, I would need more digits than are on my hands and feet, and if I included all of the help I have received from other developers and users I would need an abacus.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote