View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #231
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetgeek2010 View Post
Here's what happens. I download a book into Calibre. I don't like the way the book name is. So I make changes to title - at this point it's not on my H20.

Then I connect my H20 to computer. At this point Calibre sees the title as my modified title. I send the book. I disconnect and find the original title prior to change (that I made prior to connection of device) on my H20.
That shouldn't happen. The metadata should be updated in the book when it is sent. As a test, can you send a new book, then before disconnecting the device, go to its drive and find the book. Then open it using the calibre viewer. Once it is open, there is an icon in the toolbar to view the metadata in the book. Has the metadata been updated to the version in the calibre library?

If the metadata has not been updated, then the EPUB metadata writer plugin might have been disabled. To check this, open the calibre preferences and go to the Plugins section. In the list, find the "Metadata writer plugins" section and expand it. The find the plugin for epub. It is probably the first one. If it has been disabled, it will say "This plugin has been disabled" under the description. If this is the case, select it and press the "Enable/Disable plugin" button at the bottom of the window.

If the plugin was disabled, this should fix it. You might need to restart calibre for it to take effect. If the plugin wasn't disabled, I don't know what is happening.
Quote:
If I reconnect my H20 I would expect it to sync to the correct book name, since it showed correctly in Calibre. It does not.
No, that is not expected. The only metadata that the driver updates is the series info. And this is done as it is the only way to get it onto the device. Yes, I need to look at this again, but the extra time taken to check the details each time might not be acceptable.
Quote:
Now if I go select the book then use kobo utilities to update meta data to force correction. Then disconnect the device and it's correct.

My question is has something changed recently in Calibre that would cause the H20 to see the non modified meta data yet? My geek mind had thought that calibre has a hidden UNID it sends in the hidden meta data that allowed it to update titles on dives automatically (seemed that way in the past)

If I had performed the same behavior with my Kobo HD (in early December prior to the latest firmware on the Kobo) - 1) the name would have been correct from the beginning. Second it would auto sync the meta data. On the same computer with the same config so I am a little confused why its not behaving as I expect it to.
No, each driver has to be coded to handle the device. But, a lot of the devices work by fetching the metadata as needed from the books. Replacing the books means the next time you look at the metadata on the device, it has the updated metadata. The KoboTouch driver has never updated the metadata automatically.
Quote:
You know one thing I just thought of I did change one thing was trying to use kepub format because I had read it was faster to start Kobo devices. Could it be the kepub is never storing the renamed titles?
No, this will not be the case. If you send the book as a kepub and as an epub, the device will consider them two separate unrelated books. If you were sending them as a kepub now, I would be a little less certain of what is happening. I am fairly sure the metadata gets updated correctly before the kepub is sent, but I haven't checked recently to make sure.

It might help to see what is happening to see a debug log. To produce this:

- Start calibre without the device connected.
- Right click on the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode". Calibre will restart and display a message about the log.
- Connect the device and wait for the initial jobs to finish.
- Select a book, change the metadata and then send it to the device.
- When the send job has finished, close calibre
- The debug log will be displayed. Post the contents of the log for me to examine.

The debug log shows a lot of information about what is happening during the communication to the device. Hopefully I can work out what is happening from it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote