View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #230
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Here's a little easier to understand write up

Here's what happens. I download a book into Calibre. I don't like the way the book name is. So I make changes to title - at this point it's not on my H20.

Then I connect my H20 to computer. At this point Calibre sees the title as my modified title. I send the book. I disconnect and find the original title prior to change (that I made prior to connection of device) on my H20.

If I reconnect my H20 I would expect it to sync to the correct book name, since it showed correctly in Calibre. It does not. Now if I go select the book then use kobo utilities to update meta data to force correction. Then disconnect the device and it's correct.

My question is has something changed recently in Calibre that would cause the H20 to see the non modified meta data yet? My geek mind had thought that calibre has a hidden UNID it sends in the hidden meta data that allowed it to update titles on dives automatically (seemed that way in the past)

If I had performed the same behavior with my Kobo HD (in early December prior to the latest firmware on the Kobo) - 1) the name would have been correct from the beginning. Second it would auto sync the meta data. On the same computer with the same config so I am a little confused why its not behaving as I expect it to.

You know one thing I just thought of I did change one thing was trying to use kepub format because I had read it was faster to start Kobo devices. Could it be the kepub is never storing the renamed titles?

Thanks

Laura

QUOTE=davidfor;3038941]I'm not completely sure what you are doing, so I'll describe what is supposed to happen and then make some guesses.

When you send a book to the Kobo device, calibre updates the metadata in it and then copies the files to the device. When you disconnect the Kobo device, it find all new books, processes them and extracts the metadata to put into its internal database. This database is used for the library lists on the device.

When you connect the device and calibre sees it, it read the devices database to find what books are on the device. It matches these to the books in the calibre library. The matching is done using a file that calibre puts on the device. If the book is not in the file, the title and author is used. Calibre updates to record this match.

If you change the metadata in the library and send the book to the Kobo device again, the book is not reprocessed. Hence the updated metadata is not read from the book and updated in the devices database and library. To update the metadata on the device, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin.

There is one piece of metadata that is treated differently; series info. As the Kobo device do not read this from the books (it isn't standard metadata) the driver can update this each time the device is connected. It can also maintain the collections the books are in at the same time.

If you send a new book to the Kobo device, close and reopen calibre without disconnecting the device, the book will not be shown on the device. This is because the device has not processed the book and added it to the database that the driver reads.

I think that covers what you are doing except for one thing: How are you adding the series info to the title? Are editing the title in calibre or using metadata plugboard? If you editing the title, I suggest you look at the plugboard. These can modify metadata such as the title as the book is sent to the device. That way you can have the correct title in the calibre library, but add the series info to the title on the device and get the sorting correct.

There is only one other thing I can think of that might explain what you are seeing. Updating the metadata in a book is done using a metadata writer plugin. If these are disabled, calibre will not update the metadata in the book when it is sent. It is an unusual thing to do, but it is possible the EPUB metadata writer plugin has been disabled for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by crochetgeek2010; 02-02-2015 at 11:34 PM.
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote