View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #229
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm not completely sure what you are doing, so I'll describe what is supposed to happen and then make some guesses.

When you send a book to the Kobo device, calibre updates the metadata in it and then copies the files to the device. When you disconnect the Kobo device, it find all new books, processes them and extracts the metadata to put into its internal database. This database is used for the library lists on the device.

When you connect the device and calibre sees it, it read the devices database to find what books are on the device. It matches these to the books in the calibre library. The matching is done using a file that calibre puts on the device. If the book is not in the file, the title and author is used. Calibre updates to record this match.

If you change the metadata in the library and send the book to the Kobo device again, the book is not reprocessed. Hence the updated metadata is not read from the book and updated in the devices database and library. To update the metadata on the device, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin.

There is one piece of metadata that is treated differently; series info. As the Kobo device do not read this from the books (it isn't standard metadata) the driver can update this each time the device is connected. It can also maintain the collections the books are in at the same time.

If you send a new book to the Kobo device, close and reopen calibre without disconnecting the device, the book will not be shown on the device. This is because the device has not processed the book and added it to the database that the driver reads.

I think that covers what you are doing except for one thing: How are you adding the series info to the title? Are editing the title in calibre or using metadata plugboard? If you editing the title, I suggest you look at the plugboard. These can modify metadata such as the title as the book is sent to the device. That way you can have the correct title in the calibre library, but add the series info to the title on the device and get the sorting correct.

There is only one other thing I can think of that might explain what you are seeing. Updating the metadata in a book is done using a metadata writer plugin. If these are disabled, calibre will not update the metadata in the book when it is sent. It is an unusual thing to do, but it is possible the EPUB metadata writer plugin has been disabled for some reason.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote