View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #58
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Over the years I have found that originally I liked fan fiction, but tired of it as I got older. When I go back and re-read the original, I now find that I love more than the storyline and characters. I love how it was written. I fall in love with the era it was created in.

A slightly off example but still along the same line, James Bond. Ian Fleming had a certain style of writing. He swept you along the adventure with his stylistic writing. A couple decades later John Gardner was comissioned to write the continuing adventures of James Bond. Though I read every one and looked forward to the new one in the 80's and 90's. I alway felt that his Bond was fast food Bond. It had adventure but it had no protein in its style. I have re-read the Fleming titles again in the last couple of years and find I get sucked into Fleming the moment I read the first page.

John Gardner, a great writer was comissioned to write in a style that was not his own. He explored a new side of his writing. I am grateful for his adventures but have not had the desire to re-read them. His contract to write more adventures was based on a market of James Bond fans desiring more stories. In this case, fun they were but Fleming they were not.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote