Thread: ebook piracy
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #83
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anappo View Post
re: credit cards.
> You know any that don't?

Yes. In Estonia, most of the e-commerce goes via online banking. Online shops normally have payment links to 2-4 different banks. Then there are so called virtual credit cards - not sure if there are age limitations for those actually, I would guess not. Then the russian www.litres.ru enables you to transfer some arbitrary amount of money to your shop account, so that when you buy a book, you don't need to go through credit card transaction every time.
I was asking specifically for ebook stores that don't require a credit card, not random online purchase places that might be usable without one. Does the Russian site allow legal minors to have an account? (Can't read Russian; can't check the details.) If it requires a credit card to set up the account, or if the banks that work for it require legal adulthood, then it's not available to minors without adult supervision of their purchases.

I can't think of any English language ebook stores that work without a credit card. (And I don't mean that only English stores count; I just can't look for others.) Most gift cards won't work for online purchases--because the online purchase requires not just card number, but name & address of card account holder. There's a name on the card (usually "gift recipient" or something like that) but no address.

Quote:
> The change to "mostly ebooks" won't start until the format wars are settled

Oh well. That much we can definitely agree on.
And I suspect we're debating minor points & tangents, and mostly agree on the key issues--ebooks aren't available enough or simple enough to break into the same market niche that digital music has managed to exploit.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote