View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Not to detract from the original question but the above is utter BS. Yes, Kepub(s) (Kobo's own epub version) & Mobi(s) (Amazon's Kindle epub) are two different kettles of fish and ARE tied to their specific ereader but even Kobo can read Mobi files from what I understand. However an epub is an epub is an epub. Same with PDFs. Doesn't matter where you bought it from. An epub bought from Kobo (NOT kepub) has the same DRM as one bought from Books on Board or borrowed from your local library.

.................... I do advocate removing the DRM from your purchased books for your own sanity and for back up protection. My photos, music and ebooks are backed up onto a Passport drive and stored in a fireproof safe because you just never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
erm... Not true, at least not in my experience.

When I got my Kobo a month or so ago I purposely tested this, authorizing my reader and then dragging / dropping epubs I had purchased from Sony and B&N. They all opened without any problems. I didn't even use ADE to load them, just dragged the epubs from the download file.

UPDATE: Well, tested this again, and I'm half right, Sony epubs work fine, but the B&N files did not.
Thanks people for pulling me up.... in my gush to be helpful I may not have explained myself as well as I should have.

If someone wants to read an Epub with DRM intact, on an ereader other than the brand whose book they bought, than one needs to follow the procedure as set down by their ereader to facilitate that.

Eg, establish the set up link between the ereader and the ADE - or whichever other way your ereader provider tells you to do it.

Much easier just to download it onto a PC reader first, then import into Calibre with cleaning tools in place, and then import or copy into the ereader (after changing the format if necessary).

Until we hear back from Wombat it seems we won't know if any of the posts above is closest to helping him out with his particular issues.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote