View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I'd agree, however, some of the new e-ink readers have web browsers now and a number of people read from tablets anyway.

Sure you will burn through power faster, but most people read at home so internet reading for fiction is now much more convenient than it was.
That depends entirely on the solution used / how the web reading environment is created. In our case, IE9 or the latest version of Firefox, Chrome or Safari are "strongly recommended" - I think reading on a tablet or smartphone browser may work, but eInk browsers may well have trouble. (I can't check - haven't bothered to go to town and registering in person when there is currently nothing there that I'd be interested in reading.)

And of course it's fairly useless e.g. when travelling, with the constant Internet connection requirement (can't even turn a page when you're not online). Not everyone has a 3G capable e-reader or tablet, and for tablets / smartphones, constant 3G use when travelling abroad would get awfully expensive.

I'll probably sign up eventually just to see if it might be something my mother might find worthwhile, but I'm pretty worried it's going to be computer-only, in which case e.g. reading in bed is going to be a bit of a problem.

(Also, re: "a number of people read from tablets anyway" ... in a country where most people earn ~400-600 € a month, a tablet (or a decent-sized smartphone) is still a much more costly toy than an eInk reader, even though those cost more here too than e.g. in the US. I suspect that especially among the main user groups of libraries, which here means children, middle aged women and retired people, or in other words groups with lower than average income, the numbers of tablet owners are pretty low.

Well, to be fair, the numbers of eInk reader owners are likely pretty low, too, but the whole ebook market is still in its infancy here and for anyone in that group interested in e-reading at all - which may happen, due to the ability to change font size, hold more easily than a hardback, etc - eInk readers would likely look more attractive, if only because of the price.)
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote